Is Your Music Too Loud?

Patrick Tannian, Staff Writer

In today’s day and age children as well as adults are exposed to loud music, some for hours at a time. Few people stop to think that this may have an affect on their hearing. It does. Exposure to high volumes of music is very damaging to the eardrum and can cause a partial loss in hearing.

The human ear contains tiny hair cells which are nerve endings. These nerves’ job is to convert sound into electric signals and to carry signals into the brain. The nerve can be damaged by loud sounds. Over time repeated loud sounds or loud music will result in hearing loss. People, especially children must be aware of the levels of music that they play into their ears.

You can measure the sound you put into your ear with decibels. For most people the lowest decibel that people can hear is 20 dB. Talking at a normal level is between 40 dB and 60 dB. Concerts are typically between 110 dB and 120 dB, unless however you are right in front of the speakers which can go up to 140 dB. According to medlineplus, experts suggest listening to music with headphones between levels 60 dB through 80 dB should not be played for more than one hour at a time,  However most people do not know how to measure decibels.

To tell if your music is playing too loud, take your earbuds or headphones off of your ear and put them arm’s length in front of you; if you can still hear the music clearly then your music is playing too loud. You can try getting noise canceling headphones so you do not need to blare your music to the point that you harm  your hearing. Noise canceling headphones like Beats, are not only stylish and comfortable, but they can protect your ears if you use them responsibly. Which means you do not have to always have the volume all of the way up. This is a great way to protect your ears and listen to your best music!

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

National Opinion

Can a Celebrity Lead Our Country?

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Arts & Entertainment

Why Disney Movies are Bad for Children

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Movie Database

Movie Review: Deepwater Horizon

• Newest Features

Remembering Amy Winehouse

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Newest Features

Wakefield High School Welcomes Mrs. Trafficante

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Top Stories

Meet Ms. Snow: The Soccer Playing, World Traveling, New English Teacher!

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Top Stories

The Mess that is Stress

• National Sports

Best For Last: David Ortiz’s Legendary Retirement Tour Season

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Newest Features

The Weather Man

• Is Your Music Too Loud?

Newest Features

WHS Says Farewell To Tyler Whipple

Is Your Music Too Loud?