A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Sarah Margerison, Staff Writer

Once the clock strikes 12 AM on December 1st, the spirit of the holidays begins. Christmas music begins to play on the radio, decorations are in full stock at all stores, and holiday movies are being played non-stop on your favorite channels. For some people, the whole month is one big celebration and the only way to participate is if you dedicate yourself to those three activities. For others, these things start to get old very quickly. You’ve heard “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey so many times that you have to change the channel once you hear the first note, the same decorations have been in Target for so long that you wonder why you bothered walking in, and you can’t turn on the TV without seeing Elf on Freeform for the tenth time in 24 hours. Does this sound familiar? I bet so. It’s easy to avoid all of these things, but what are the alternatives? There are many great movies to watch instead of the recurring holiday movies. One great movie to watch during any season is The Breakfast Club.

The Breakfast Club was written and directed by John Hughes and released in 1985. John Hughes directed many popular movies during the 1980s such as Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and many more. You may have heard the movie’s largely popular featured song, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds. The story takes place during a Saturday detention at Shermer High School in Shermer, Illinois. The five people who attend this detention include Brian Johnson (the Brain), Andrew Clark (the Athlete), Allison Reynolds (the Basket Case), Claire Standish (the Princess), and John Bender (the Criminal). In the beginning, they all keep to themselves but as the movie progresses, you get to see the different sides of each of the characters. Each character has a different personality and outlook on life. This movie mainly focuses on the struggle of fitting in during your high school years.

You would think that since it was released about the same time our parents were in high school, that it would be irrelevant by now. However, you can still find examples of the different stereotypes in today’s high schools, even in Wakefield High School. These characters deal with the same situations that kids today do. Anyone watching the movie even now can relate to the situation of one of the characters, or a mixture of a few. The Breakfast Club is a movie that you could watch a million times and never get sick of. It is a timeless classic that never fails to bring laughter, sadness, and a personal connection for anyone watching.

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Newest Features

Red Sea Strong

• Newest Features

Cool New Ways to Spice Up Your Dinner Parties

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Newest Features

Grades Rise Up!

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Newest Features

“Take Your Heart:” A Review of Persona 5

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Newest Features

Is Your Music Too Loud?

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

National Opinion

Can a Celebrity Lead Our Country?

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Arts & Entertainment

Why Disney Movies are Bad for Children

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Movie Database

Movie Review: Deepwater Horizon

• Newest Features

Remembering Amy Winehouse

• A Different Kind of Christmas Classic

Newest Features

Wakefield High School Welcomes Mrs. Trafficante

A Different Kind of Christmas Classic