The Truth About Assault

Rebecca Hunt, Staff Writer

According to the Centers for Disease Control, one in five women will be raped (notice I said “raped”, not sexually assaulted) in their lifetime, yet rape is constantly doubted and the victims are blamed. One in seventy-one men will be raped, which, though still is an alarming number, is a much lower rate than for women.

Every single rape happens because someone decides to commit a crime against another human being, yet most of the time, the victim is blamed.  More often than not, they are afraid to be honest about what happened to them, since they may be bullied or ridiculed for it like it was somehow their fault.

Only about 32% of all rapes are reported. Out of those, only 2% of rapists go to prison. This is disgusting, and because of this, rapists don’t think that what they’re doing is truly despicable, even though it is. Violating someone’s body like that should not be taken lightly, but instead it can be seen as a victory.

False Accusations 1Luckily, there are many men and women who are speaking out against rapists. One such example is a  college
student named Emma Sulkowicz, who was allegedly raped in her dorm room at Columbia University. Though she reported the assault to the campus authorities, and the same student already had multiple complaints made about him,
nothing was done about it.

In protest, the girl decided that, for her senior thesis, she would carry the mattress she was raped on everywhere, every day, until the student was punished for his actions. She gained thousands of supporters, both on campus and
off.

In the end, though, she graduated and had to bring her mattress with her to graduation. Being reminded on such an important day of such a low point in her life was most likely very difficult for her, yet her alleged rapist tried to play the victim. He sued the university because his “day-to-day life is unbearably stressful, as Emma and her mattress parade around campus each and every day.” But Sulkowicz responded to the suit: “If artists are not allowed to make art that reflect on our experiences, then how are we to heal?”

Emma is not the only one facing this problem. most people have probably heard about the court case  regarding  Kesha. She is trying to get out of her recording contract with Sony, since she is currently stuck (by contract) with a producer who allegedly raped her, as well as emotionally and physically abused her. Though she isn’t pressing charges against Dr. Luke, she
is trying to get out of her recording contract with him. She says she feels unsafe when working with him, as she claims that not only did he rape her, but also drugged her several years ago.

False Accusations 2Kesha has been fighting for freedom from Dr. Luke for several months now, but was recently denied an injunction in the court case. She is staying strong despite not being able to release music , but this is something that would wear anyone down. The problem is, releasing music is the only way she can make money.

People who are raped shouldn’t be treated like the villain in these situations. So often, their story is twisted so it becomes about how they are hurting the reputation of the person who raped them. Victims are victims for a reason; they’ve been hurt by someone else. So why aren’t they treated like they have been hurt? It’s 2016; we should be moving forward as a society in this area and treating victims of rape the way they deserve to be treated.

The Truth About Assault