Taking Field Trips to Success

Rachel King, Staff Writer

It is 6:00 in the morning Laura, a highschool student, wakes up exhausted from doing homework for hours into the night. All she wants is a day off, but everyday is the same. She gets ready for school, with her eyes barely open. Then Laura arrives at school, where she sits for six and a half hours. Her teachers then give her four plus hours of homework to do that night, and the draining cycle continues day after day.

High schoolers who continue to have the same routine each day begin to lose steam and cannot focus in class. According to the article Student’s and Attention: An Interesting Analysis, by MaryEllen Weimer PhD,  “Teachers should try to improve student attentiveness by using a variety of instructional approaches”. Students who stare at a computer all day and take notes lose focus quickly and may suffer from long term eye problems. A way to vary the way students learn is taking more field trips. This is a way for students to get out of the school, while learning at the same time.

Children who were more exposed to field trips when they were younger are more likely to have life long success. A survey that was conducted by U.S. travel association found this to be true. The results showed that 59% of students who took field trips more frequently had better grades overall. School need to consider this educational value of leaving the classroom. This way students that are rundown and tired are able to get a change of scenery. Of the surveyed 89% felt that the field trips had a long lasting effect on them. They were more engaged and ready to learn more. Many people do not feel this way about the traditional classroom.

School outings are also an incentive for students to do better. These trips are what many youths look forward to at the end of the semester. They have know that they are working hard to have a break at the end of the semester. Many schools allow the students to get involved and have a productive discussion about where it would be best to go. This is a great way to let students know that they are a part of the school.

Many students do not find pleasure in going to school, in fact 73% say the reason for this is because they are bored. Students who are not engaged do not have any interest in pursuing a career in that fields. The children who are more engaged in school are more likely to go to college and have more success in their lives. If classes are not interesting, they may not want to take the next step in their education. Less education will lead to less jobs. According to a survey students who took more field trips make larger income overall.

A solution to this problem is to take more field trips, even if they are local. For example in Wakefield, they have many educational attractions. Students could walk to the lake or visit the local food pantry. These field trips are in walking distance, and they could benefit a variety of students. If we use the resources right in Wakefield, our students will feel more involved with school and will have valuable experiences.

Field trips do come with a cost. With the amount of technology and other necessities to keep the school up to date, there is little room in the budget to account for field trips. Parents would have to pay more for them. However, they would see benefits in their children’s happiness and the performance.

Student Ali Calnan said, “Students definitely need more field trips”. She feels that the school does not take enough. Students work so hard during the year and they deserve to have a reward. Ali also thinks that having a field trip after during mid years or MCAS would be beneficial. Tired students are calling for more exciting classes and better school days there schools need more field trips.

Taking Field Trips to Success